UFC 155 provided a great night of action with many of the fights going the distance. In the main event Mexican fighter Cain Velasquez reclaimed the UFC heavyweight title in a rematch with Brazilian native Junior Dos Santos. Also, in the co-main event Joe Lauzon and Jim Miller engaged in a bloody war, which showcased both of the guys stand up ability and ground skills.
Elsewhere on the main card, Chris Leben dropped a unanimous decision loss to Derek Brunson in a matchup where neither man looked on top of their game. Costa Philippou snapped Tim Boetsch’s winning run after picking up a third round TKO victory over “The Barbarian”. Tim seemed to be fighting with some form of an injury and also received an accidental poke in the eye during the fight, which really seemed to effect his ability to mount any solid offense.
Earlier that night we saw Todd Duffee make his return to the UFC with an impressive first round TKO victory over Phil De Fries in a heavyweight matchup. Max Holloway and Leonard Garcia also entertained fans with an exciting stand up battle, which resulted in Holloway scoring a controversial split decision win.
The UFC 155 result are below:
- Cain Velasquez def. Junior dos Santos via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-43, 50-44)
- Jim Miller def. Joe Lauzon via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Costa Philippou def. Tim Boetsch via TKO – Rnd 3 (2:11)
- Yushin Okami def. Alan Belcher via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Derek Brunson def. Chris Leben via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Eddie Wineland def. Brad Pickett via split decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Erik Perez def. Byron Bloodworth via TKO – Rnd 1 (3:50)
- Jamie Varner def. Melvin Guillard via split decision (30-27, 27-30, 30-27)
- Myles Jury def. Michael Johnson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Todd Duffee def. Phil De Fries via TKO – Rnd 1 (2:04)
- Max Holloway def. Leonard Garcia via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- John Moraga def. Chris Cariaso via submission (Guillotine choke) – Rnd 3 (1:11)
Stay close to The MMA Review (www.themmareview.co.uk) for all the latest UFC news.
Jay Cee – @JayCeeMMA