UFC on FX 6 took place last night at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre in Gold Coast, Australia. The event featured The Ultimate Fighter Smashes Finale, which was headlined by a bout between head coaches Ross Pearson and George Sotiropoulos. Also the TUF Smashes tournament finals saw Colin Fletcher take on Norman Parke at lightweight, and Australia’s Robert Whittaker faced the UK’s Brad Scott at welterweight.
In a main event which turned out to be an exciting stand-up battle, Ross Pearson was able to let his hands go and do damage to Sotiropoulos on multiple occasions throughout the fight. It is common knowledge that George is more comfortable on the ground, but he just wasn’t able to take the fight there for any considerable amount of time. In the first round he managed to score a big take-down, which was followed by a rear-naked choke attempt, but Ross was able to escape. Early in the third round Ross dropped George with a big left hook, then a wobbly Sotiropoulos scrambled to his feet but Pearson soon followed up with a stiff left jab followed by a big right hand that finished Sotiropoulos.
The full UFC on FX 6 results are below:
Preliminary Card (Fuel TV)
- Cody Donovan def. Nick Penner by TKO (strikes) Rd 1 (4:35)
- Mike Wilkinson def. Brendan Loughnane by unanimous decision (29-28 x 3)
- Ben Alloway def. Manuel Rodriguez by KO (strikes) Rd 1 (4:57)
- Mike Pierce def. Seth Baczynski by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28 x 2)
- Joey Beltran def. Igor Pokrajac by unanimous decision (30-27 x 3)
- Chad Mendes def. Yaotzin Meza by knockout (punches) Rd 1 (1:55)
- Hector Lombard def. Rousimar Palhares by TKO (strikes) Rd 1 (3:38)
- Norman Parke def. Colin Fletcher by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Robert Whittaker def. Brad Scott by unanimous decision (29-28 x 3)
- Ross Pearson def. George Sotiropoulos by TKO (punches) Rd 3 (0:41)
Stay close to The MMA Review (www.themmareview.co.uk) for all the latest UFC news.
Jay Cee – @JayCeeMMA