The results are in for UFC Fight Night 30, which took place at the Phones 4u Arena in Manchester, England, on Saturday, October 27th. In the headliner, Lyoto Machida managed to knockout his friend and training partner, Mark Munoz, in just over three minutes of the very first round.
After three minutes of inactivity and what I would describe as “feeling each other out”, Machida launched a devastating head-kick that landed flush on the side on Munoz’s head. The blow knocked Munoz to the ground, Machida rushed in to administer the finishing blow, but upon realizing that his friend was seeing stars he refrained from throwing any additional strikes and the referee called a stop to the action.
In the co-main event, fans were left disappointed following an illegal knee from Melvin Guillard, which cut open Ross Pearson’s forehead. The fight ending knee was the second of two controversial knees landed whilst Pearson was up against the cage with one knee on the floor, well just about on the floor. At one minute and fifty seven seconds of the first round referee Mark Goddard declared the fight a No Contest due to an unintentional illegal knee. These guys are likely to face each other again in March when the UFC returns to the UK.
Elsewhere on the main card, Jimi Manuwa picked up a second round TKO win over Ryan Jimmo. Norman Parke secured a dominant unanimous decision win over Jon Tuck, Nicholas Musoke scored a first round submission victory over Alessio Sakara, and John Lineker landed an impressive first round TKO win over Phil Harris.
The full UFC Fight Night 30 results are below:
- Lyoto Machida def. Mark Munoz via knockout (head kick) – Rd. 1, 3:10
- Melvin Guillard vs. Ross Pearson declared no-contest (unintentional illegal knee from Guillard) – Rd. 1, 1:57
- Jimi Manuwa def. Ryan Jimmo via TKO (injury) – Rd. 2, 4:41
- Norman Parke def. Jon Tuck via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Nicholas Musoke def. Alessio Sakara via submission (armbar) – Rd. 1, 3:07
- John Lineker def. Phil Harris via TKO (punches) – Rd. 1, 2:51
- Al Iaquinta def. Piotr Hallmann via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Luke Barnatt def. Andrew Craig via submission (rear-naked choke) – Rd. 2, 2:12
- Jessica Andrade def. Rosi Sexton via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-26)
- Cole Miller def. Andy Ogle via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jimy Hettes def. Robert Whiteford via technical submission (triangle choke) – Rd. 2, 2:17
- Brad Scott def. Michael Kuiper via submission (guillotine choke) – Rd. 1, 4:17
Stay close to The MMA Review (www.themmareview.co.uk) for all the latest MMA news.